So I’m pretty lucky where I work. I have access to a lot of carbon fibre. It’s been itching my brain to try and make myself some more custom toys out of the stuff while I can.
So with that in mind I decided on making a custom fibre butt plug. So I started with a rectangular off cut. I then drilled a 10mm hole into it and in that hole I bonded some 10mm Stainless Steel bar
The steel bar then enabled me to put the block in the chuck of the pillar drill. This made short work of grinding it to shape. The shape itself was just done by eye.
As you can see in the picture above the pillar drill trick enabled me to grind it extremely quickly to shape. The hard part was keeping an eye on the door in work so no one saw what I was making. That would have brought up some awkward questions 😛
The pillar drill also made light work of polishing. All I had to do was put the polishing compound on a rag and rub the plug whilst it span in the pillar drill.
Finally all I had to do was grind the bottom off and polish that up. All in all this probably took around 2 hours to make but most of that time was spent tweaking it and trying to get it perfect.
She came out better than I had anticipated and the pictures just don’t do her justice! however I kinda got the size a bit screwy and she’s a lot bigger than she originally looked when grinding her to shape. So I reckon I’ll have to get back grinding to make her a little sister when the opportunity presents itself 🙂
When I first met my partner she showed me some of her snake whips and it’s safe to say I instantly fell in love! they are just so much fun.
The first time I tried to crack her whip…well I hit myself on the shoulder and it was more of a pathetic flop than the enthusiastic Indian Jones style crack, this was the same on the second attempt and every other attempt up until number 3000. But it was still great fun relaxing in the garden with her showing off her skills and me desperately trying (and failing) to look impressive during my turns.
I knew I wanted one!
But as is the case with anything of quality I just couldn’t justify the expense to buy one. Don’t get me wrong they are worth the price with the work that goes into them. They are works of art!
So youtube to the rescue! there are tons of different tutorials online and I highly recommend This tutorial from Nicks Whip Shop.
It may seem long at nearly 2 hours but please don’t let put you off. Most of the techniques are fairly simple and repetitive so it’s really not that complicated. If anything I found the whole process to be very therapeutic and relaxing. These are made from Paracord instead of leather but work just as well!
And that was the results of my first whip! as you can see she looks a little grubby, and that is because I was so damned excited I ran straight out to play with her! She is no where near perfect. You can see many, many, mistakes. But she works PERFECTLY! she cracks beautifully! I think in total it took around 8 hours to make, but that time was broken up over a couple of days, plus I buggered up a few times and had to retrace my steps. But she was amazing and well worth the time invested. Once I got into the plaiting groove I found it really relaxing to make to so it wasn’t exactly 8 hours of hard labour 🙂
I ended up making a second whip that was exactly the same as this one. The reason being that wielding one whip looks cool…but using TWO at the same time looks total badass and feels amazing. But unfortunately I never took any pictures of that one
Now this is my favourite whip!!!! it was made as a gift for a friend and came out absolutely stunning! I ended up being gutted I couldn’t keep her for myself! But you can already see the improvements over my first whip to this one (the third whip)
A quick shot of the overlay being plaited
The main improvements to this whip were:
- tighter plaiting
- spending more time rolling every belly
- thinking about how best to hide my strand drops
I did run into a few problems. This was the first time I used different paracord to the original and when doing the core the BB’s just wouldn’t fit into the cord. It was ever so slightly smaller. luckily I had some cord left over from my first two whips so I used that instead for it. It’s just something to bear in mind. I am still struggling with making the drops look neat during the plaiting stage as well. A lot of tutorials I see show this step but don’t go into detail on the best ways to make them look good. But for me that’s fine. I am more than happy with these imperfections as unless inspected they look amazing! and as for those CRACKS!!!! If I get a chance I’ll get a video
So if you want a whip but can’t justify the expense I would definitely recommend making one yourself. In total 1 cost me about £20’s worth of supplies but I had enough of those supplies left over to make a second.
Next on the list is to try and make myself a leather one…
Hello dear reader, and welcome to my little slice of the web.
I decided to start this blog as a way of keeping track of all my little creations and all the info that goes with them. My twisted mind thinks of so many different quirky little concepts that it becomes impossible to remember all the cool things I want to try and create.
It will also be a way for me to show my designs/ideas/techniques with other people too as it’s always great to get input and help/support.